Friday, June 1, 2012

Celebrating with Service

Service

Gosh, I just love Philippians 2:3-11! How beautiful is it that God himself became man to serve us here on earth? The devotional nails it right on:  "Jesus who was God in the flesh called himself the slave of all mankind. Could being His follower mean anything less?  Jesus who was the King of kings subjected
himself as a slave to be crucified for the world.  Could being a Christian mean anything less?"

The church I attend is currently going through the book of Luke. In  chapter 4, Luke shares how Jesus healed Simon's mother-in-law from a high fever. "So he (Jesus) bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait them." Luke 4:39. Jesus healed this woman, he saved her from death! And what did she do? She immediately got up to serve him out of gratitude! That is how I want to spend not only my summer on the waters, but the rest of my time here on earth. Jesus has healed me (and is continually making me new) and saved me from eternal death. I want to get up and serve him, I want to follow him, it's Christ's love and power in me that compels me to serve others who were just like my old self.

And that leads me to CELEBRATION!

I just love parties, and personally, I can't wait for heaven! Back to the woman in Luke 4, when I think about her being healed and how she responded by serving them. I just can't help but picture her jumping up, with Christ's power and JOY filled in her. That as a result of Christ saving her, she is compelled to serve (2 Corinthians 5:14-18 - 14). And it wasn't on her own strength (I mean, she was just on her death bed), but by allowing Jesus to heal her she was able to give to others. I bet she was thrilled to serve them!

Which makes me think of how Christ has healed and saved me. How he hass provided and continues to do so! How crazy! I don't know why he's called me Sonshine this summer, but I am so excited to serve and celebrate with you all for all God has done and will do this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment